Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Slow And Steady Wins The Race with a Plot Twist


 
Tortoise should have challenged him for a swimming competition.

 

My Little Brother's
Slow And Steady Wins The Race
A Twist


"Okay, I get it. The tortoise wins the race." He paused as he was digesting the end of the story. My brother is a very difficult person to narrate stories to. He takes his own time to analyze and approve of ending. It was because of him that I had to change endings of so many stories in Hindu mythology; to the extent that if any Hindu activists come to have knowledge about it, they are sure going to sue us for damaging the integrity of their intellectual property. If my brother were to be a lawyer, he would surely ask, not being able to digest the grounds for the suit, "What intellect?"


"So if we go slow and steady, we will win the race. But.." That is the 'but' most of his teachers are afraid of and my parents see nightmares about but for me it is where the real story begins.


"What if the hare was fast and steady? You cannot say slow and steady always wins the race just because this time the story had a stupid hare in it. What if it was clever? Would tortoise still win the race? I say fast and steady wins the race." My brother looked at me with those shiny eyes that he makes when he is not satisfied.


"Well." I ensured that I had all his attention. "Do you remember the story where the king starts to eat the porridge from the middle of the plate and burns his tongue?"


"Yes."


"What did you say then?"


"He should have slowed down and waited for the porridge to cool. Then he could even eat from the middle of the plate." He understood what I was trying to say.


"Fast is haste; haste is waste. I get it." He exclaimed as he finally reached to his conclusion.


"Fast who is clever and steady wins." He concluded.


"Don't rush it. Why don't you make your own story and prove your point?" I do this everyday because he is one of the best storyteller in the world.


Now you might have guessed what his version of story is going to be about. A clever, faster and steady hare wins, right?


Brace yourself for the biggest surprise because that is not how the story ends.


Once upon a time, there was a hare and a tortoise. One day hare had nothing to do so he sat and made fun of tortoise. He taunted him by saying that he is very slow and weak. He will never win a race even if hare walks in stead of running. The other animals who were seeing this asked them to race each other. They both had nothing to do since it was saturday so they began the race. It was decided that whoever reaches the biggest tree shall win the race. The hare being quick and clever knew that he shouldn't rest as he may fall asleep and decided to end the race quickly. Tortoise badly wanted to win the race so that the hare would stop bullying him. So, he walked steadily without even taking a rest. But, alas! The hare was steadier and he finished the race in 5 minutes when tortoise had hardly walked few inches away from the starting line.


Therefour, Fast who is clever and steady wins the race.


But, the hunters who heard the noise as the hare celebrated his win found him and shot him. They had a feast that evening.


"What happened!" I exclaimed as I was amused by the twist.


"I learned something new." He said with a cheerful voice.


"You should never celebrate, if you already knew you were going to win." He paused and gave his signature look with his eyes, as if to say 'wait for it', and added, "Fast, clever and steady may always win the race but slow and steady will never die."


"Besides, tortoise should have challenged him for a swimming competition. It is like you said, 'Wise people never brag.'"


I have got the wisest brother in the world. And, I am going to brag about it.

2 comments:

  1. Okay. I didn't see this coming. Had no idea that the 'plot twists' would blow my brains out. That's genius!
    Please, brag. Your brother is awesome-er than you. :D

    ReplyDelete